Saturday, November 10

What's new

I have to admit, that when someone asks me "What's new?" I hardly know what to say. What can I say? Is anyone really interested in how much Kayla's drooling these days, how she can hold her own bottle, how she's learned to blow bubbles or how strong her legs are? I'm not sure if anyone's really interested in that, so sometimes I just say "Oh, not too much". But that's not true! So much is new! You're 4 months old, everything's new! Maybe people expect me to come up with more, like a review on a movie I've seen lately, or my view on the latest world crisis, or what I think about today's headlines. Quite honestly, I'm not up to speed on any of those topics. In fact, the earth's continents could be getting swallowed up by a large sea monster and I honestly wouldn't know about it. But I can give you a review of "Baby's First Year" or the latest article from "Parenting" magazine, sing you the latest Baby Einstein nursery song or tell you the physical, emotional and mental developmental benchmarks of a 20-week old. You drool all the time. Your hands are always in your mouth and covered in drool. Your chin is always wet. And by the end of the day your outift is drool-soaked too. You amaze us with how you can soak an entire outfit with drool. We have to leave the outfits out on the dresser to dry overnight. The best is when you reach out to explore our face with those little drool covered hands. And then our cheeks are covered in drool. Holding you over our shoulder for just a few mintues leaves us with a soggy shirt. And soggy is an understatement. Eveything goes straight to your mouth. Your fingers or anyone else's fingers for that matter. And your toes have made it to your mouth now too. I wonder, what does it taste like to eat your toes?
And you reached out for me for the first time!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Holding you up in the air above our heads is sheer delight for you. (Not to mention the drool that inevitably falls and hits our face). And you're turning into a regular roll-over queen now. From your back to your tummy and tummy to your back. Even during the night. In your sleep. Hence the latest dilema. The past few nights we've woken in the night to hear you banging the side of the crib only to go in and find you rolled over onto your back playing with the crib slats. One peek at you and you've got a big smile for us on your face. Its just that 5am is not the time for that.

(Update: Eliminate the baby swaddle and add crib bumpers. Problem solved!)

No comments: