The books say start reading to your baby the moment they are born. The scientific research is there to prove its benefits - build your child's vocabulary, improve communication skills. But no matter how many times I came across this research and advice, I couldn't help but be skeptical and think "Really? How so? She doesn't grasp what I'm saying, let alone know what a book is". Not that my argument was against reading to her, but I had a hard time truly seeing its benefits at such an early age.
Kayla is my proof.
Kayla has her six favorite books piled on her nightstand next to the rocking chair. And don't try to sneak in another one and switch one out, I've tried, she noticed. Before a nap or bedtime, we settle into the chair and read, What's on My Head?, My Favorite Colors, Katy the Kitten, Peek-a-Boo, Smile! and My Busy, Busy Day. (The latter being her favorite). And what I can't get over is that a squirmy worm like Kayla will sit quietly on my lap, perfectly still, and study intently and listen attentively to every picture pointed at and word read to her. But she loves books read to her at any time, in a restaurant, during playtime on the floor, and she will sit in anyone's lap and listen as long as they're reading her a book.
So, what are you waiting for? Get reading!
1 comment:
My Dad read books to me EVERY night from the time i was an infant, until I was in kindergarten and could read the books myself - then he made me read books to him. I could talk in complete sentences by 12 months, and was reading with comprehension by age 3 1/2. My parents did this with my brother Steve, but the youngest didn't get such special attention... My Mom is convinced that's the reason I'm smarter than the other two. ;-) And, she's probably right.
My friend at work has one of those kids that she throws in front of Baby Einstein videos....and the kid is almost 2 and still doesn't form words. Now, i don't know that much about babies and kids, but babbling-baby-videos on a daily basis as opposed to reading/parent/child interaction seems a likely cause.
Kayla's still adorable - and Aaron's clone.
Post a Comment