Wednesday, July 23

12 months

Wow, you've hit the big 12 month mark, officially a year old. You celebrated your birthday almost a whole month ago and I'm just now getting around to writing about it. I have so much to say, I guess the task of getting started was daunting.

The day of your birthday, I promptly announced to everyone at work, "Guess what I was doing a year ago today?" Guess! Guess! That's right, the universe started pulling and I started pushing. 'Yes, my sweet little baby is one years old today!' I told everybody. Even if no one asked how I was doing that day I proudly, but politely, informed them you were one. I felt like telling the world, doesn't everyone want to know? I'm the mother of a one year old! I was so happy all day long on your birthday. But the sad part is, is that you were not happy. You were cutting teeth and it made you very miserable. You had a fever which made you very quiet and want to cuddle. And that's okay, holding you and rocking you in the chair made me very happy if it helped you feel better.

On the day of your birthday we already had one birthday party for you under our belt when we celebrated with Grandma's side of the family. You had a cake, we sang happy birthday and you opened presents. But that wasn't the only party you had, we threw a big shindig here at home with lots of friends and family around to celebrate your life. Again there was more cake, more singing and more presents. I'm not sure you knew that all of the celebrating was for you though.

You are impressing us with how much and how fast you are learning these days. Your latest acheivement is the discovery of your bellybutton and everyone elses too. "Baaaaaleeebahhhhh" is what you call it as you take your little finger and place it over your bellybutton. I love to show off this latest acheivement to friends but it backfires when I ask "Kayla, where's your bellybutton?" and you lift up my shirt. No, not mine, yours!!! So, for the time being, we'll just keep your little trick under wraps and to ourselves. But that's not the only body part you've discovered. You know how to find your nose and your eyes too.

We visited the doctor this month for your 1-yr Well Baby appointment. As the nurse read through the development standards checklist I proudly answered Yes for every question; Does she Mama and Dada? Can she say three words? Is she walking? (Running, actually, thank you very much). Is she drinking milk? When it came time to measure your length, I helped the nurse with the tape and as she recorded it on your chart she kept mumbling, This can't be right. So we took the measurement again just to be sure it was accurate - you're so tall at 31.5" that you're off the chart! Growing right on cue! Way to go Kayla!During my visit, I was presented with an age-appropriate packet of information. One brochure in particular caught my eye: Temper Tantrums. Ironically as I'm reading it you started throwing a temper tantrum on the floor. I thought, what perfect timing. Doctor Jessica assured me that it has nothing to do with a a switch in your personality or our failure as parents, you're just doing what's normal for a one year old who wants to be independant and becomes frustrated with the lack of words you have to communicate with. We're not worried, you're still our sweet little angel. And there's more. You can drink out of a straw. You love to be outside (the mosquitos love you too). You outgrew your Size 2 shoes and went right into Size 4. Saying that you love to walk up and down the stairs is an understatement. You've moved to a forward-facing car seat (which you love). You drink Capri Sun juice boxes. You grab our finger and lead us around. (Oh how I love it when your tiny hand wraps around my finger!) You love to imitate the Itsy Bitsy Spider. You love to open and close doors. You like carrying purses and wearing Mommy's bracelets. You like to hold a spoon while you eat your bowl of Cheerios for breakfast. You eat what we eat, the pureed baby food days are over. So far we've been impressed that you love smoked salmon and even dill pickles. If given the chance, you would eat blueberries, rice cakes and dill pickles for every meal. We play the "Don't get me!" game and chase each other around which causes you to run away from us as fast you can squealing with laughter. You're still the best sleeper in the world. You know how to turn on the faucet in our jacuzzi tub (and leave it on). You've discovered how to unwind an entire roll of toilet paper.
I was truly hit with the reality of how fast your growing when I realized I can no longer shop for clothes in the Baby section. I picked out a cute red gingham skirt in your size... until I read the tag that said 3-6 months. At first glance I was certain that it would fit you! This must mean that in my mind you're still that small. I reluctantly hung the skirt back up relishing - and missing just for a moment - the days you were that small. But I wouldn't trade them for the fun, beautiful, intelligent, happy little girl we have now! We think its great your a year old too! We love you Kayla Raine!

1 comment:

Melanie A. said...

She IS a tall girl . . .we grow them big at my house too! :) It's not a problem except that it makes it seem like they are growing up that much faster!!!
Kayla is such a beautiful little girl & you can tell she has the personality to match.