Wednesday, February 25

Houdini update

Things have been busy, to say the least, so I've been slacking on the photo and blogging end of things. Soon I will get caught up. Promise.

But in the meantime I thought I should give a update on our little Houdini.

The weekend she learned to climb out of her crib was horrible. Just horrible. Repeatedly she would climb and fall. And I tell ya, a 19-month old who has not taken a nap for 3 days in a row is NOT FUN. Not for her, not for me, not for anyone.

We actually had to put her in her crib once with her crying and stand there and watch her while she climbed out (Please hold your *gasp*) because we had no idea how she was getting out. She was using the sides in the corner to lift herself up and get a leg over. Once we saw that Aaron rigged a "corner blocker" with two sheets. That worked for one night. Then she learned that she didn't need the corners, she could just use the rail across the front to get a leg up and over. My mom said "Where there's a will, there's a way. And she had the will".

We had to find a solution, and fast. I googled 'crib rails' and found this: The Cozy Crib Tent. I was mortified. People actually use that? There was no way I was going to be the mom that caged her child in her bed. Plus, I could just hear it now, Kayla would scream even louder than she already did. No way. No Cozy Crib Tent. Aaron said "Order it and get it shipped overnight".

But after three days of no naps, I was ready for wires, rails, cages, nails and wood... whatever it took to keep her in.

Fortunately we haven't had to order anything. Kayla has completely grasped the story we immediately started telling her:

"Kayla, you cannot climb out of your bed. Your bed is for night-night only. That means you lay down and go to sleep. When you climb out you fall down and go 'boom' and then you cry, and that makes Mama and Dada very sad."

It has worked. There are no more "sheet corner blockers", there is no Cozy Crib Tent and we have not had any more attempted escapes. She likes the story, tries to tell it to me throughout the day - she especially likes the 'boom' and the Mama & Dada parts.

Our plan is to keep her in her crib for at least another 6-12 months. Let's hope it works!

1 comment:

About Barb said...

Good work - who knew you could "reason" with a child so successfully :) Can't wait to see you guys and here the "mine" a million times when she is invaded by visitors. . .