Friday, September 18

Two and beyond

I've been meaning to compose this entry for awhile now. I've recieved prompts from friends and family to post something new. I guess I didn't realize it had been that long. Life gets busy. And Kayla keeps me busier, always saying "Mama, play too?" A gentle reminder from Kayla to stop whatever I'm doing (like typing on the computer) and come down to the floor and play. Thank you all for checking in as often as you do!

The evolution of language development is so incredibly fascinating and amazing. Its hard to imagine that - not that long ago - Kayla didn't have the skills mastered yet for verbal communication. Children change so quickly at this age and its so much fun to watch that evolution happen by leaps and bounds for Kayla on a daily basis. Its exciting to hear her take words and ideas she's familiar with and create new phrases- or demands, or questions - on her own. There's something new every day.

Kayla constantly cracks us up. Aaron and I spend our evenings recapping everything we heard Kayla say or saw her do during the day - just in case one of us might have missed something. She keeps us smiling and shaking our heads like "where does she come up with this stuff"?

There's lots of "Taadaa!" and "Horray!" exclamations with the arms thrown up in the air. And even more of "No, Kayla do it" all day, every day. She wants to do everything herself from getting dressed, to putting on her shoes, to fastening her car seat. She's picked up on slang saying "Nope, not yet", "Yeah, I know" or "Ummmmm, this one". Probably the cutest thing to hear her say is "What's that noiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise?"It may be a cricket chirping, a dish clanking or a garbage truck going by, but she'll keep asking until you answer.

Somehow she's recently developed a sensitivity to scary things, therefore we hear "Kayla's scared" and "______ gonna get me"! (Fill in the blank with ants, Daddy, kitty, puppy, frog, cars, airplane, Cassidy... you name it).

And its just the best when she says "love you!" out of the blue and throws her arms around your neck to give a BIG hug!

I recently described Kayla to someone as Bossy, or as they reiterated Independant. Ah yes, Independant. Much better. We also describe her as very Particular, or as someone else observed Fastidious. Yes, these are accurate descriptions of our little girl.

And I just realized yesterday that we made it through this whole summer somehow without her noticing the bright pink, christmas-song playing ice cream truck that drove by our house every day. Whew! I don't imagine that to be the case next summer.

Kayla and Addie reading books.

On a boat ride with Grandpa.


A blurry picture, but too cute not to share. Playing dress-up in her handmade hat art project with Miss Melissa.


There's nothing better than living your life through the eyes of a two year old!

1 comment:

kJoy said...

Thanks for posting this love. It made me smile =) I miss my ky-li