Tuesday, August 10

Conversations

I've been meaning to post about life with a three year old for awhile now. There's just so much to say! Every day is something new! She's got her letters of the alphabet down and has started writing them too. (Pre-school is only a month away!) Her favorite activities are to ride her bike to the fountain, play with play-doh, play dress-up, and play with her mountain of baby dolls. I've got all this content for the blog entry swirling around in my head, but that's as far as its gotten. Mainly because, I live with a three year old.

I don't have to explain living with a three year old to a parent of a three year old. They know about the high's and low's. The extreme happiness one mili-second and the instant crabiness the next mili-second. The moodiness. The yelling "Its not fair!" The dramatic crying episodes. The pouting. (By the way, where and how do they learn all this? Is an internal valve opened when they turn three?) The independant spirit... and attitude, vocabulary and opinion that accompany it. And the laughs. The hugs. The fun tickle and wrestling matches. The "help" with household chores. And the constant "I love you"'s. There's all that, and so much more.

I used to be called "Momma" for a long time, and that was very sweet. Then she progressed to "Mommy" and I expected that would last forever. At least I wanted it to last longer than it did. But since she turned three, now its just plain old "Mom". I guess when you need to yell it 7,356,039 times a day, "Mom" is more convienant. But at least she is polite and uses her manners and says "Excuse me Mom..." when she does need to interrupt, even if she does repeat it over and over at the speed of light.

Kayla has two topics she is fascinated with: one is her size relative to everything around her and the things she can/cannot accomplish and things she can/ cannot wear based on that observation. She is constantly talking about "when I am bigger and bigger than I can..." or "when I am little again I will...". Or she'll talk about being big like me someday or even talk about things I did when I was little. It's her fascination, and she really does make some exceptional observations. I love to hear how her little mind is working.

And the second thing that she is fascinated with is the desire to sleep in our bed with us or us with her at night, which is interesting because we have never slept in her bed nor has she ever slept in our bed with us, yet she brings up the same discussion every night.

Each night, regardless of who puts her to bed, she always asks us to stay in her bed and sleep with her. It's not because she's scared, its because, as she says "I like it when you cuddle with me." But, no matter what, she is such a good girl because she always stays in her bed until morning at which point we hear a soft voice coming through the monitor, "Mommy, come get me. The sun is up".

Last night, as I lay in bed in the dark with her, our arms around each other, she asked if I could sleep with her. No. Then she asked if she could sleep with us in our bed. No. Then after a few thoughtful moments of silence she said, "When I turn into a magic fairy and get a magic wand I will Poosh! (poof) your bed into mine and I will Poosh! my bed into yours and then we can sleep together. I will be Tinkerbell when my costume isn't pretend anymore and then my magic wand will be real and then we can sleep together".

Oh, so that's why I didn't sleep well in my bed last night... I should've been sleeping with my little magic fairy instead! Let's have a sleep over together every night Kayla!

1 comment:

SMJ said...

I lovelovelove reading about the day-to-day doings and sayings of Kayla. It's so awesome to hear what's actually going on in that thoughtful, creative little head! You have to wonder how long she's been thinking about some of that stuff!!