Friday, October 1

Fall bike ride

Many many of our summer afternoons and evenings were spent going on bike rides. Typically they were to the fountain and back, or the pond, but recently we made it more productive by riding past the fountain to the mailboxes to retreive our mail. Part of what made it possible to add more distance to our bike rides is that Kayla quickly graduated from her toddler bike earlier this summer to the big girl bike she has now. Let us tell you, she is fast! We can cover twice the distance in half the time, which I'm pretty sure makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

I remember those days so well, a few years back, when Kayla was still an infant and I was carrying her in the Baby Bjorn or pushing her in a stroller on our walks and I would pass a parent walking (or riding) beside their toddler on a bike with training wheels. I always thought to myself that the toddler age seemed so far off and, although I would really try, I couldn't ever picture my Kayla riding a bike with training wheels. Plus, a bike with training wheels on pavement is LOUD and I never wanted to be that LOUD parent you could hear coming down the street before you could see them.

And, here we are today.

So tonight, this is how Kayla and I spent our Girls Night, riding to the mailboxes on a beautiful fall night with the mailbox key tucked safely away in Kayla's special pocket. And to add what Kayla said about our Girls Night: "No boys allowed!"
You would make this face too, if you were riding this fast!High-fives for Girls Night!
Proud of her big girl bike, with a kickstand just like Mommy's bike

2 comments:

SMJ said...

Why does she look like she is 8 years old to me???

About Barb said...

What fun! Get her some skis and come to Crystal this winter :) I think she's ready. . .